Thursday, August 12, 2010

First Day of School 2010



Today was the first day of school for Ella (3rd grade) and Hannah Jane (1st grade). I was so proud of myself this morning, b/c things were going seamlessly. The girls were up and getting ready on their own. I was up and dressed, had popped the monkey bread in the oven and packed their lunches. The process of fixing hair even went smoothly. I snapped some pictures of them with the First Day of School poster and served them their breakfast. Maggie was even completely dressed with hairbow and all when we headed out to the end of the driveway to catch their buses. FYI - there are three Zachary Elem. schools broken up by grade level - k-1, 2-3, and 4-5. Ella and Hannah Jane are at different schools and therefore ride different buses . I had my coffee and my bucket chair out there and was still taking photos as we waited. I was fully prepared for the buses to be running a little late the first day. The first bus came and I checked the number, recognized the bus driver from last year and kissed Hannah Jane on the head and sent her on her way. A neighbor stopped by and we chatted for a bit until Ella's bus pulled up. Only - that's when the smoothness of my morning ended. The bus assistant came down the steps of the bus looking for Hannah Jane. I recognized her from last year as well and informed her I had already put her on the bus. She then informed me that I had put Hannah Jane on the wrong bus!! I was completely confused and insisted that the bus company had mixed up the girls' bus numbers. I coralled the other 2 girls into the car and high-tailed it to the front of the neighborhood to prevent the bus from leaving with the wrong child! I could only imagine Hannah Jane's bewilderment as her bus pulled her up to the wrong school. I managed to stop the first bus before she left our development. I got Hannah Jane off and put Ella on the correct bus. Then we waited for the lower Elementary bus to make its way to the front of the neighborhood and boy, was I relieved to have Hannah Jane on the correct bus at last. Whew! It was truly a close call and quite the fiasco. I went home prepared to call the bus company and be sure that they were informed of the mix-up they made. I decided to check the cards one last time to be sure I hadn't gotten the numbers confused. Oooh so glad that I did. I saved myself some embarrassment, because what-do-ya-know? It was my mistake. Imagine that? I didn't have it all together after all. I think God allows these little moments of stress to humble us. It worked . . .


Notice Hannah Jane getting on the wrong bus. I even have a photo to prove it. Ha!


2 comments:

  1. Oh boy! I bet you were stressed when it happened. I guess you are human like the rest of us, I kind of wondered :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness friend!! I would have been freaking out!! So glad everything worked out and that the Lord prompted you to check the cards one more time. :) Seeing the picture of your girls and your beautiful neighborhood made me miss you so much! We have got to get together soon!!!!!

    ReplyDelete